Friday, September 7, 2012

Planes, Subway Trains, and No Automobiles

I could go on for days about how much I love being able to walk somewhere as opposed to having to get in the car and drive. Although my poor, tired feet had about all they could handle in NYC this last week, I absolutely loved the public transportation system and the fact that you can get pretty much anywhere within the five boroughs by hopping trains and walking a short distance a way. And, to top it off, if it's too far to walk, your bus ride is included with your metro pass. Here's just a short list of all the reasons I love the NYC subway system:
  • It's super affordable. A metro pass is so much cheaper than the cost of gas, insurance, car payments, upkeep, or just taking a cab.
  • You can booze it up without a care in the world and god knows I love worry free drinking.
  • No need for a gym membership. Get fit by walking the subway stairs, running to catch a train, walking from the train station to your destination, or even getting off a train stop earlier (as suggested in the subway cars' "get fit" campaign posters).  
  • I learned that people still read, and many of them read good old fashioned paper books. I can't even describe how happy it made me to see so many people reading on the subway, and they were reading everything from Bitch Reloaded Part II (complete with Jesus Saves bookmark!) to Leaves of Grass.
  • Street performers. I shockingly didn't see any musicians until my last night in town but was fortunate enough to see two super talented singer-songwriters that night. The acoustics in the subway are surprisingly fantastic by the way. 
  • People watching and fashion idolizing. Though I can't decide how I feel about the shorter shorts the hipster boys are wearing these days.
Though the New York subway stations could use a bit of TLC in the cleanliness and design department...
Typical NYC subway station.

Bad ass looking subway station in Munich.

Besides my love for the ease of getting around the city, I had an amazing few days out there. Dominic and I did some serious exploring, enjoyed a few of the most memorable meals I've had in my life, and lounged together a little. And now the nearly four months without my Dominic begins. Friends, you've been warned. Let the random bouts of crying and the drowning of my sorrows in wine begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment